Votre panier est vide.

Finland 1940 - The Winter War

14 contributions / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Herodote
Portrait de Herodote

The subject has been tackled quite a few times already and is rather popular. I also played your Finland 1918 which is great, so the "second round" war Finns vs Soviets could be nice too, and a challenge to create, due to the disproportion of forces and means.

I'll be working some general ideas soon, but here are my first hand ideas from what I understand of WAW system.

1 - Soviets forces (divisions and brigades) are numerous and strong (in numbers), but weak in moral. Strong airforce, also in numbers, but dense forest terrain will render it not that powerful

2 - Soviet leadership is abysmal, leaders will be mostly 0 in values

3 - Finns will have small units, low in hit points, but very high moral. Quality of commanders will be high too. So overall they have the edge in most battles, if they survive the attrition

4 - Cards will allows to render some decisive aspects (ambushes, winter war fighting, various supports, Mannerheim line, Stalin insistance, international diplomacy and politics, etc..)

5 - Finns can win by holding (up to a point) or by provoking the Allies' intervention (so a tension index system will be used), Soviet wins by capturing the border regions they demand and forcing Finland's capitulation and/or favorable peace.

Some other things I should include ?

Anterak1517
Portrait de Anterak1517

And what about the weather ?

Herodote
Portrait de Herodote

Scenario is 1 week / turn, from early December 1939 till mid March 1940... it's winter (Finnish type...i.e. bad and snowy) all the time...Map will be snowhite

Diodore
Portrait de Diodore

Looks quite interesting..real difficulty will be to balance the strengths and weaknesses of both sides indeed, and make sure the Finns can establish some kind of good defense in the face of the Soviet numbers...I can't wait to see and test it...

Strategiae
Portrait de Strategiae

Typically an Expanded collection scenario candidate... move forward guys, this is a great topic !

Herodote
Portrait de Herodote

I started testing after the first creation, it looks promising. A few glimpse at the content:

Units

Cards

Herodote
Portrait de Herodote

Start of war, December 1939, the Finns mobilize and await Soviet assault

Herodote
Portrait de Herodote

And the reds are attacking in force across the Carelia isthmus...despite not knowing for sure the defensive dispositions of their opponent...

Strategiae
Portrait de Strategiae

Woaw!

Anterak1517
Portrait de Anterak1517

Very Impressive! Big or small map ?

Herodote
Portrait de Herodote

A big map... only the far north is treated with off-map boxes

Anterak1517
Portrait de Anterak1517

Waaaaah !

jcowitz

I'm new to the forum.  Just purchased WATW.  Do mods like this get released to the general public.  Looks amazing and I've always been interested in this conflict.

Strategiae
Portrait de Strategiae

Yes we release those mods. In fact when the mod designer feels his game is ready, he submits it to us and we have an internal evaluation. When positive, we offer to distribute the game to the public.

Regarding this game it could come sometimes by the end of this summer